The Upward Call


Philippians 3:12-14: "Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected, but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." (NKJV)

We all have certain things that we would like to accomplish in the New Year. Some people make lists of resolutions that they are going to try to accomplish like losing weight, eating healthier, spending more time with the family, etc. But in these verses Paul is talking about something spiritual. Like a runner in a race reaching out for that prize, we as Christians should be reaching out for the prize as well. But in our case, the prize is the "upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

I see this call, not as a specific position in the body of Christ, but as that calling out of darkness which God did for us- 1 Peter 2:9 says that we were "called out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy." In other words we are called to show forth the mercy of God. The beginning of that verse says that we are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people to proclaim the praises of Him..." We are to show forth the glory of God. That is our calling. Our calling is that we are a special treasure to the Lord. We are priests and kings, a holy nation.

This I believe is the upward call that Paul is speaking of in Phil 3. It isn't a specific position or place in the body of Christ, but it is what every Christian should be apprehending. In this coming year, there are so many uncertainties. We don't know what the economy will bring or what the weather conditions will be. Everything seems to be changing and out of control. But one thing is for certain- none of this surprises God. He knows the beginning from the end. He has all things under control. He may be allowing some of these conditions to occur so that people will get their minds off of themselves and onto God. We need to be listening to His voice. He is thundering from the heavens if we will only heed what is being said. I believe that time is running out. The Lord will be returning soon! And when He comes I want to be found faithful. I want to be found pressing on so that I can apprehend that for which Christ apprehended me. I want to fulfill my calling.

I have been "called" into the ministry. My husband is a Pastor. I am his help-mate. I am a vital part of that ministry. I teach and preach the Word. But the most important calling that I have is to show forth the glory of God in my everyday life. It isn't something big or showy that gets the job done. Sometimes it is the person hidden in the shadows, daily doing the work of the Lord-not seen by man-but seen by God. It is how we handle our lives- if we are truly living as though we are a chosen generation and a royal priesthood. The Bible says that we are living letters. Others read us all the time. They watch us and know what we are about. It is in our daily worship-our daily lives-that we live up to that calling. And it is an upward call. If you listen closely you will hear the Lord calling His people upward-upward in our attitude, in our worship, in how we interact with others, upward in our devotion and worship to Him.

This coming year I am going to strive for that prize-the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. I am going to strive to set more time aside to read His Word and spend more time in prayer- listening to Him. There are so many things we can go without, do without-and offer up the time we would have been spending doing other things and use that time effectively in ministering to the Lord. We will find more strength and grace to face the challenges of the day if we do. We will find we get more accomplished if we spend more time with the Lord. The things that bother us the most won't bother us quite so much if we take the time and use it wisely.

The upward call-pressing into it- that is what God is asking of His Church today. It isn't some showy ministry, but a hidden ministry to the Lord, a ministry to Him. Then when problems arise, when hard times press in on us--and they will--we will find strength beyond measure. We will find help in the time of the storm--and storms will come. Forget those things that have passed--don't look back- look forward and press on toward the goal for the prize of upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Earth Receive Her King!

Extravagant Devotion Series ~ Introduction

Embrace Expectancy